OCTOBER FAVORITES

by - October 31, 2014


Some months my favorites are a little harder to choose than others, but this month was an absolute no brainer for me and I hardly even had to think about it. This month was definitely the latter. In fact, this really required no thought at all. For me, fall beauty comes much more easily than any other season and I end up feeling a bit like it's a no brainer. This month my favorites consist of a few products that are new finds combined with some old favorites that just jump out at me for fall looks. Also, I have a couple of non-beauty favorites that I'm just over the moon excited about.

Keep reading to take a closer look!


BEAUTY FAVORITES

1. Goody Tanglefix Brush 
When I bought this brush, it was actually because I had been hearing a lot about the Tangle Teaser and it looked like the same idea... and then initially I didn't like it. I'm generally a fan of a nice, big paddle brush and this was just not what I was used to. However, my hair has been a bit of a struggle lately. It's been damaged at the ends from my balayage and it just doesn't seem to want to do as it's told without a lot of browbeating. Enter the Tanglefix, which I pulled out a few weeks ago because I couldn't find my other brush. I was so wrong about this in the beginning. It deals with any dry tangles without pulling even a little and it leaves my hair soft and manageable. It's really worth a try, especially for those dealing with damaged hair.

2. NYX Butter Lipstick in Pops
Honestly, it was definitely the deeper shades that always appealed to me from the NYX Butter Lipstick line, but after seeing some swatches I felt like this could be a really nice addition to a lipstick collection that's getting somewhat ridiculous. And I was right. This really is my perfect My-Lips-But-Better shade. It's really subtle, but I feel like it does a hell of a job of making an everyday look appear just that bit more polished without really looking like I'm wearing anything on my lips. Just looks like I have really perfect lips, and who doesn't want that? While there are definitely more exciting shades from this line, I think this is my favorite just for its incredible wearability.

3. Kryolan For Glossybox Blush in Glossy Rosewood
Now, I don't like listing things that were limited edition in these posts, but I believe that Kryolan still sells this shade but just calls it Rosewood. From all of the pictures that I've seen, they look pretty much identical. And this shade is perfection, I'm telling you. It's a beautiful cool-toned mauve shade that just looks really natural and healthy on the cheeks - particularly on fair skin like mine, but I feel like it could work beautifully on a lot of skintones. Seriously, the reason I know that Kryolan sells the Rosewood shade is because I went on a hunt to make sure that I'll be able to replace this if I ever manage to get through the pot. And I stress if. The pigmentation on this blush is great, so you don't need much to just lift your whole face.

4. Julep Nail Color in Evelyn
This shade is described on the Julep website as a magenta purple cream and it. is. beautiful. It's a deep, fairly vampy shade but it somehow maintains a brightness that I think is just beautiful. I love the formula. It applies smoothly without any streaking and you could easily get away with a quick one coat application if you're on the run. I don't know how much more I can say about this. It's just stunning.

5. Anastasia Brow Wiz in Medium Ash
I know I've been talking about this a lot lately, but I feel like everyone talks about this a lot. Once you've tried it, it's hard to really love any other brow pencil, as far as I can tell. It's just that good. This shade is perfectly neutral and matches my brows just perfectly, to the point where I don't ever have to worry about my brows looking garish or too done when I use this product. The spooly on the end is perfect for using at the very end of filling in my brows to get rid of any lines that might have ended up too harsh or too perfected, to give just a really natural look. This is definitely a little spendy for a brow pencil, but I think it's worth every penny.

6. Hard Candy Brows Now! Brow Fibre Gel in Light Medium
Another brow product, this one new to my routine, and I love it as well. I feel like I don't want to say too much about this one, since I recently reviewed it, but in short this is a great product for a quick brow grooming. It can also definitely be used with a brow pencil, and my favorite way to use it is absolutely to pair it with my brow wiz for pretty, natural, all day groomed brows.

7. Avon Extra Lasting Eyeshadow Pencil in Amethyst
I've been remiss. I meant to review this eyeshadow pencil ages ago. I photographed them and everything but the photos ended up being poorly lit and I just never got around to rephotographing them. Bad me. Because these pencils are great and this one is my favorite. This shade is a beautiful shimmery taupe that leans more purple than brown. The pigmentation on this is gorgeous and they apply smooth and creamy, very easy to blend and soften, and then set for a look that isn't going to budge all day. Honestly, if you have a chance to get your hands on some of these, I highly recommend them. 

8. YSL Baby Doll Volume Mascara
So I'm slowly working my way through LAST YEAR's lash stash, mostly because I tucked it away in my vanity stool and I just keep forgetting to bust it out. Also because I can't seem to help myself when new mascaras come out, I almost always end up picking them up to try. I think, also, I was saving this one because I'd heard such good things about it. And there is a reason. THIS STUFF IS THE BUSINESS. I honestly have no desire to use any other mascara at the moment because this one is just getting it done that well. It gives me amazing length on the first coat and builds to really good volume without ever getting clumpy. I will admit that I've had a little bit of trouble with smudging here and there, but it's nothing too obnoxious or difficult to deal with. I think this might end up on the short list of high end mascaras that I'm willing to spend the money for. The very, very short list. 

NON-BEAUTY FAVORITES

9. Outlander on STARZ
Years ago, I read this book and I absolutely loved it. I tried reading the next book in the truly epic series and I ended up falling off and never picking it up again. I've heard that it's worth it to stick with them and that the subsequent books are amazing and after watching this show, I'm reinvigorated to pick up the whole series and go hard on it. This show is just. Guh. Seriously. From the gorgeous song in the opening credits to the absolutely sweeping locations that they shot at and the really, really attractive people in the show, this thing is beautiful. On top of that, though, the pacing is really well done, the characters are well written and acted, and the story unfolds at a pace that feels deliberate and slow in a way that isn't boring or uncomfortable. I'm obsessed enough that I'm planning on rewatching from the beginning already.



10. Old Dutch Arriba Tortilla Chips in Zesty Taco
Okay... I swear, I'm normally a healthy snacker these days. I rarely eat potato chips and I would usually rather have some raisins or apple slices than dip into a bag of chips... but my god, I've been obsessed with these. I crave them hard these days and I think we've been through 3 or 4 bags this month between me and my boyfriend. And it's terrible. AND SO, SO GOOD. Give me all the Zesty Taco chips, seriously. And then my pants won't fit. Almost seems worth it.

I was going to have more favorites, I really was... but I decided to stop there because I have a little bit of a thing about numbers. I know, I know. I'm a weirdo. But still, 10 seems like a good round number of favorites to have for one month. So there you have it. October in favorites!

Here's to a good November!

XO.

You May Also Like

0 comments