UNBOXING: Birchbox August 2015

by - August 18, 2015


So, I have to say, after last month's Birchbox fail, I wasn't holding out much hope that this month would be better. I know a lot of people who cancelled their subscription last month, but you guys know how much I love getting my subscription boxes and I just couldn't bring myself to give up just yet. Also, Birchbox Canada has promised that they're listening to people's complaints and trying to do better, so I'll hold on a little longer. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by this box and am happy to share with you guys what I received this month.

So if you're interested in seeing what's I received in this month's Birchbox, keep reading!


Crabtree & Evelyn Ultra Moisturizing Hand Therapy
25g Deluxe Sample - Value $5.66
Made with macadamia oil and shea butter, this ultranourishing cream hydrates and protects hands.

I've actually never tried any Crabtree & Evelyn products, but I've always heard good things. I like the feel of this hand cream, but the scent reminds me of the cologne my dad wore when I was a kid. It was a nice cologne, don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure how I feel about my hands smelling like it. We'll see! It's a good product, either way. Might pass it onto my boyfriend, since he's the gardener around here anyway.


Balance Me Congested Skin Serum
7ml Deluxe Sample - Value $15.87
Calming spot treatment that fights blemishes, refines pores, and balances skin without drying.

I'm really excited to give this a try and hopeful that it will work. I definitely struggle with clogged pores and that's pretty much my #1 skin concern at this point, so if this will help I'll go all in on it! For a serum, it's decently affordable and will be well worth a purchase if it works like it claims. Definitely looking forward to trying this out.


St. Tropez Gradual Tan In Shower
50ml Deluxe Sample - Value $7.75
This convenient, innovative self-tanner delivers buildable color for a natural looking glow.

I can't wait to try this! I've actually heard a fair bit about this recently and I feel like this is the kind of self tanning that I can get into. My experiences in the past with self tanning have been less than satisfying, but I've got high hopes that this will give a nice, golden look to my skin without pumpkin streaks. I think I can, I think I can! Also, this is a really generous sample size that will allow me to get a good feel for the product itself, which is definitely a plus.


LAQA & Co. Cheeky Lip Tint in Cray-Cray
Deluxe Sample Size - Value $8.67
This creamy crayon delivers a rich, easy to apply color for both lips and cheeks.

There was a different shade of this that I was hoping to get after seeing this spoiled, but after getting this one I'm actually pretty happy with it. This kind of peachy coral shade isn't my preference for my lips, but I applied it and after a little smoothing it didn't look too bad. Where this really shines is as a cheek product, though. I applied a little swipe of this to the apple of my cheek and then blended it out with a duofibre brush and it turned out absolutely gorgeous. I have a feeling this is going to be getting a lot of wear. I even want to pick up the Charm School Kit from Birchbox that contains 3 shades of this product, that's how much I like it. Win on this one!


amika Un.Done Textyre Spray
21.3g Sample - Value $3.71
Styling spray that gives hair effortless, tousled volume, loads of shine, and a dreamy scent.

Let's get this out of the way... The sample is really small. That being said, I feel like I will be able to get a feel for the product with this amount and I have definitely been wanting to try some products from amika, so I'm not mad. They aren't lying about the dreamy scent; I gave this a sniff and fell in instalove. I haven't actually used it in my hair yet, but I'm looking forward to giving it a go to bring some texture to freshly washed hair. Fingers crossed!


Total Value: $41.66

Value-wise, this is a huge improvement on last month. I also feel like this is a big improvement overall for Birchbox, since they had been defaulting to shampoo, body lotion, and body wash a little too often. I like the selection of products that we got, I love the brands that they chose, and I love the overall curation of this for the month of August. I said that I was going to give them another month to improve and if they didn't I would cancel, but this was a really good box so I'm going to hold on another month and see what happens!

If you're interested in signing up for Birchbox Canada, I would love if it you would use my Referral Link! Birchbox is a monthly subscription box that costs around $15CAD for a unique box every month filled with 5 deluxe samples of beauty products! If you're interested in seeing what I received in previous boxes, check them out here!

Thanks for reading!

You May Also Like

0 comments