REVIEW: SEPHORA Jem and The Holograms Truly Outrageous Liquid Lipstick Set

by - October 20, 2015


So... The thing is, when I was a kid Jem was EVERYTHING. I wanted to BE Jem... and frequently pretended that was the case. A couple of years ago, I got my hands on the whole series and decided to rewatch from the beginning. I was kinda struck by how completely psycho it was - what, with all the actual murder attempts that The Misfits perpetuated against The Holograms, but it was still a great nostalgia watch. Now, I am completely grossed out by the trailer for the movie and how they modernized it to basically be Hannah Montana meets Josie And The Pussy Cats (2001) but with pink eyeliner, so we're just going to ignore the fact that the movie even exists, mmk? Let's all get excited about the fact that the gross movie means a Jem collection from Sephora! As soon as I saw the promo pictures, which you can see in my blog post here, I absolutely had to have this liquid lipstick set - and I proceeded to stalk the Sephora website until my local store had it in stock and had it in my hands within a couple of hours. Yes, the need was real. Anyway.... How did it live up to what I was hoping for?

Keep reading for my review and swatches!



The Truly Outrageous Liquid Lip Set comes with four liquid lipsticks as well as a holographic gloss. The packaging on this product is pretty much perfect, if you ask me. It has the old school Jem branding, which was absolutely necessary, if you ask me. It comes housed in a cardboard box completely covered in pink glitter, which looks just gorgeous. Each lipstick is nestled into a sturdy foam insert which I actually really like. I think it would have been easy to go with more cardboard or plastic, but the foam makes this a very usable packaging that I actually plan on storing these in even though it takes up a lot more room than they would if they were loose. It's just too cute to get rid of.

Each product is packaged in a traditional tube and contains 2.38ml of product. As a comparison for size, this is just slightly less than half the size of the Sephora Collection Creamy Lip Stain. Each wand has a traditional doe foot applicator. The branding on the outside of the packaging includes holographic lightning bolts on the tube, a bright pink lightning bolt and Sephora label on the side of the lid, and the Jem logo on the top of each lid. 

Serious packaging win, Sephora!


I have to say that I was overwhelmingly impressed with the formula of these products. With the shimmery lip gloss, I did find it to be a little bit sticky with a slight grit due to the glitters, but I still find that I can wear it without feeling too uncomfortable. I think the stickiness does give it a lot longer of a wear time and I definitely don't find it moving outside my lip lines, which is definitely important with such a glittery product. 

As for the liquid lipsticks... DAMN. NEW FAVORITE. This formula definitely gives you a matte finish on the lips, but it doesn't dry down and set quite as matte as a lot of other matte lipsticks I've been trying out lately. Of course, this means that there is a little bit of transfer if you sip from a cup or a straw, but only the barest amount of product transfers when you do a kiss test. Because these don't set down completely, they're incredibly comfortable on the lips even though they do have a very long wear time and they accentuate your lip lines. The darkest shade was quite patchy, but I was able to even it out fairly easily. Seriously, Sephora needs to launch a whole permanent collection in this formula, because I would buy every shade.

World's crappiest swatcher? ME!


Fashion & Fame - Shimmery Opalescent Gloss 
This is a sheer gloss that is absolutely packed with pink, gold, and purple shimmers. Some of the shimmers are very fine while others seem to be a bit larger and more flaky. Honestly, I thought I was going to hate this but I actually kind of like the look that it gives on the lips.

Like A Dream - Midtoned Rosy Neutral
This is the biggest winner in this collection. On my skin tone, I would call this a your lips but better type shade that's a little rose, a little mauve, and a little nude. It's seriously perfection and I would absolutely kill for a full size of it.

Music Is Magic - Hot Fuscia Pink
I figured this was going to be my least favorite shade of the collection, but I strangely find it quite wearable. This is a full on fuscia pink, but I feel like it has just a hint of berry that keeps it from being cartoony. Honestly, I feel like this would be HEAVENLY on a deep skin tone.

To The Rescue - Berry Mauve
On the lips, this is a lot deeper than it appears in the tube. It's definitely a berry mauve shade, but it deepens up on the lips so that it's just a hint shy of a wine type shade. This is perfect for fall and I think would look amazing on absolutely anyone.

She's Got The Power - Deep Grape
This is definitely the weakest formula of the bunch, applying quite patchy on the first layer but evening out with a carefully applied second layer. In the tube, this is a deep grape shade, but on the lips it also deepens up quite a bit to a VERY vampy blackened grape shade. Still, it doesn't actually look black on the lips and I think this would be amazing on deep skin tones or really anyone who isn't afraid to play with really edgy lips.


Overall, I absolutely love this set - enough that I'm tempted to pick up a backup, if only for the Like A Dream shade. I think the shade selection is kind of brilliant, with it feeling a little bit like both The Holograms and The Misfits are represented. If you're going to pick up one thing from this collection, I highly recommend that you make it this set!

The Sephora Collection Jem And The Holograms Truly Outrageous Liquid Lip Set is available at Sephora and retails for $31CAD ($25US)! Get it before it's gone!

Thanks for reading!

You May Also Like

0 comments