REVIEW: NYX Angel Veil Skin Perfecting Primer

by - November 19, 2015


So, I have to admit that I wasn't overly interested in trying out the NYX Angel Veil Skin perfecting Primer until I heard somewhere that it was a dupe for the Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer, which is my absolute ride or die holy grail primer. Since the Hourglass costs approximately one arm and a half a leg, I tend to use it only for special occasions when I really need to makeup to be flawless and last basically til death (or cleansing oil) do us part, so the idea that I could get the same effect from a drugstore primer was pretty exciting. I've been using this pretty consistently for about a month now and I'm ready to give you my thoughts - and also to let you know whether or not I think this really is a dupe for the distinctly luxury Hourglass primer!

Keep reading for a closer more!


"This super silky light and fresh formula creates a comfortable cushion on your skin to enhance makeup application. The incredible formula creates a smooth uniform canvas that minimizes shine and makes application flawless. Your skin will feel like it has been touched by an angel."
I have to say, that the first time I tried this out I was really impressed with the texture. Like the Hourglass Veil primer, this has a thin, silky consistency that feels light and smooth on the skin without adding any stickiness to the skin. This is a silicone based primer, so it does have that very silky feeling, but I find it to be a lot more delicate in texture than a lot of other silicone primers that I've used in the past. It is white in colour, but it sheers out really quickly and I don't find it leaves any white cast on my skin. I haven't tested this with flash photography, so I'm not actually sure if it causes any flashback.


Overall, I do like this primer quite a lot, but I do find that it works better with some foundations than others. My favorite foundation to pair this with is the Maybelline Dream Wonder Fluid Touch Foundation, because the two seem to go together absolutely perfectly. That foundation definitely has a tendency to break up and get really shiny on me after only a few hours, but with this primer underneath it I can wear it all day and my skin looks absolutely flawless. I also quite like it with my favorite foundation combination, which is the CoverGirl Ready Set Gorgeous mixed with 1 pump of the Bourgois Health Mix Serum. The combination of these three is pretty much flawless on my skin. I would recommend that if you're going to use this primer, be careful not to use too much, because I find that a little bit goes the longest way with this product and too much can actually work against you.


So... Do I feel like this is a true dupe for the Hourglass primer? Unfortunately, no I don't. I think they're very similar in texture and even in performance, but I feel like the Hourglass Veil could pretty much keep my makeup on in a hurricane and I don't think that's true for this primer. That being said, I think that this is a great primer for the price and I will likely pick it up again once I use this one up. I'll continue to save the Hourglass for special occasions and use this as a more every day type of primer.

Have you tried this primer? How do you feel about it? Let me know in the comments!

Thanks for reading!

You May Also Like

0 comments